So, what are pretzels? When we say that they are a simple snack food, we should definitely be clear on the simple concept. To make them, all you need is flour, salt, yeast, and water. That’s it.
First, make sure that you get some wheat flour, preferably from a bakery or from a shop, because it will be more efficient for you. The good thing about a traditional German-style recipe is that it involves water as the first ingredient, so be prepared to boil water in your kitchen for this recipe.
How to make Pretzels?
- To make a yeast dough, add two teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of sugar. Then, combine the flour with the yeast. Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Next, add a bit of salt and mix well. Make sure that you don’t leave the mixture too long before removing it from the bowl. It is best if you let it sit for a few minutes before you remove it from the bowl.
- You can then cut the dough into several balls and knead it for a minute or two. Remove the dough and turn it over. Again, do not leave it for too long before you remove it from the bowl.
- Now, sprinkle some salt and stir the dough together. Once this is done, place the dough on a floured board and knead it until it gets smooth. The dough should be very loose but soft.
- Cut a piece of cheese and use it to cover the dough. Use another fork to stab it into the dough, so that the cheese will stick to the dough and help it stick to the mold.
- This method may sound difficult, but it is very effective. Do this for a couple of times until the pretzel is ready. Leave it for a while so that it will firm up.
- You should now have a flattened piece of dough. Place it on a sheet of wax paper, and in a slightly hotter pan, lightly fry it for about four minutes. The results will vary from one recipe to another, but the most popular ones are baked in the oven at around 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The final step is to let it cool down completely. Once you have cooled the pretzel sufficiently, you can easily carry it out of the mold.
So, when you make a pretzel, think about the simplicity of the above easy recipe and try to enjoy the great taste of these delicious foods. And as you all know, they taste even better in a coffee or tea.