Any business transformation may be difficult and expensive, so finding ways to reduce food waste and regular reviews is essential for determining where and how much food waste has cost your company. After identifying your food waste, the next step is to build an action plan consisting of two or three simple measures to be implemented by your key personnel to minimize costs, increase profits, and reduce the environmental effect.
The following are some effective strategies for combating food waste. Display your action plan in the staff room, so your employees are aware of the changes, and be sure to get their comments.
Table of Contents
- Checking your existing inventory and ordering exactly what you require can significantly impact your ability to save money and reduce food waste.
- Develop a profitable ordering system in close collaboration with suppliers to maximize profitability.
- Purchase in bulk only if you have adequate storage space and can use the things before they expire.
- Consider which meals are more in demand daily and seasonal so you can change your order accordingly.
- If at all possible, order ingredients pre-cut to minimize waste.
- Order seasonal fruits and veggies to save money. Locally sourced items are likely to have a longer shelf life because they have not traveled as far.
- Not only will a well-designed menu keep your clients delighted, but it will also help you maintain an efficient kitchen with no extra staff or food costs.
- Consider utilizing the same components for multiple items on the menu.
- Utilize ‘nose to tail’ or ‘root to stalk’ cooking techniques, in which every portion of the food is utilized.
- Create dishes that utilize leftovers, such as soups and sauces made from meat and vegetables.
- This can assist you in determining which menu items are popular and which ones may be eliminated.
- Food storage is one of the finest ways to cut operational expenses, increase revenues, and prevent spoilage.
- Maintain clean and dry storage places and routinely check the temperature of your refrigerator and freezer.
- Check the expiration dates and rotate the stock as soon as it arrives to ensure that the oldest food is used first.
- Try to store food in airtight containers or vacuum packaging as soon as it is delivered to maintain its freshness.
- Your evaluation of food waste can help you determine how full your clients are and which foods they consistently leave on their plates, allowing you to apply strategies to reduce plate waste and enhance your revenues.
- Offer side dishes and garnishes as an option instead of automatically including them.
- Provide various serving sizes to allow clients more control over how much they consume.
- Offer to-go containers to guests who still have food on their plates.
- After following these activities, remember to conduct another food waste review, share your achievements with us, and encourage other businesses to follow your lead.
Additionally, you may want to consider donating excess food to a local charity to prevent food waste and assist those in need. Now learn how this 24-year-old Singaporean cafe employee proactively sought ways to reduce food wastage to conserve resources for the business.